Week after week clients complain about not losing enough weight. They swear up and down they are not “cheating”. We work diligently to try and find the culprit, which is not always evident on first glance. We have to act like detectives and ask question after question to get to the bottom of it. You would not believe what makes the difference between a one-pound week and a two-pound week. We promise you, it’s all in the details …. and this is why your daily food journal is SO IMPORTANT!
Below are some of the questions we ask that might make you really look at your daily routine to see if some of these might be your issue. Trust us, there’s always something that blocks the scale. Although we don’t believe the scale is the only measure of success, we want clients to reach their goals. Here are some guidelines to go over daily:
1) Are you measuring out the oil you are using? We recommend no more than 2 teaspoons per day of olive oil or grapeseed oil.
2) Are you measuring your meats and vegetables in raw weight? Eyeballing doesn’t work.
3) Are you looking at the actual ingredients in spices, dips, dressings and sauces? So many spice mixes, rubs and dressings have sugar as an ingredient. YES, it will make a difference.
4) How many meals do you eat out, or pick up, or drive through?? It is amazing how many restaurants like to add sugars, fats and sodium to “grilled” items. If you look up the ingredients on the foods you are getting out, you will see ingredients like molasses, corn syrup solids, dextrose, and many other forms of hidden sugars. Beware! Order very specifically and tell them you are “allergic” to dairy when your protein is being grilled. Also start cooking for yourself …. that’s when real success begins and continues into an easy maintenance plan.
5) Are you faithfully taking your vitamin regimen?? If you are on an unbalanced diet, and you don’t take your supplements, you may see a slow down on the scale. Not to mention feeling low energy, light headed and exhausted.
6) Are you drinking enough water?? We suggest 96 ounces, however some experts recommend ½ your body weight in ounces per day.
7) Are you eating too many foods with sucralose or other non-nutritive sweeteners? Too much of a good thing, is still too much. Limit extra sweeteners to not more than 2 packets of Stevia per day and not more than 2 servings of 0/0/0 dressings like Walden Farms or syrups like Da Vinci.
8) Are you going more than 3 1/2 hours without eating something? Keeping the metabolism moving is important. Consistently feeding your body with lean protein keeps it burning fat.
9) Are you eating all the vegetables and leafy greens on a daily basis? These are your complex carbs and you need the nutrients and fiber to stay full and make your digestive system function properly.
10) Are you eating something within one hour of waking to jump start your metabolism? This is where the science of Ideal Protein really works! Stay away from old habits!
11) Are you getting enough sleep? No sleep …. no weight loss.
12) What is your stress level like?? Pay attention to this, and find ways to decompress. Keeping your natural hormones in balance helps your body lose and maintain. It’s a fact!
13) Are you paying attention to the amount of caffeine you are drinking?? Caffeine is dehydrating and can slow your metabolism. Not to mention … the creamer/milk?? The powdered creamers have hidden sugars and fats, and the half and half has too much fat while trying to lose weight. Use 1 oz. of the IP Vanilla ready-made protein drink in place of creamer.
These are just some of the reasons why the scale might not move as fast as you would like. Pay attention to the details and you will see the true results!